In 1973, our Police Department was organized, with a one-man force located in the Town Hall. Over the years, the need of public service grew so the Department was expanded and moved to the Fire Station.
In 1975, a new fire station was to be completed. For the $155,000 fire station project to be successful, costly fire engines and equipment were needed. Only limited funds were available toward the purchase of a 1,000 gallon pumper, a 1250 gallon pumper and an 85-foot hook-and-ladder truck, the cost of which in the aggregate would be $207,764. An appeal to Indian River County for funds produced two agreements, one in 1975 and one in 1977, whereby the County paid $110,000 toward the purchase of the above equipment.
Around 1980, after many County-wide fire protection meetings, a plan was drawn up to establish three fire districts in the County to be supported by the respective taxpayers. This plan was subject to approval by referendum which excluded Indian River Shores. The plan was approved, and in September 1980, a new fire agreement between the County and the Town was executed, nullifying the former agreements and signaling a renewed spirit of cooperation. Under this new agreement, the Town delivered the 1,000 gallon pumper to the County, consented to provide fire protection from the north Town limit to the Sebastian Inlet on the barrier island for a period of 3 years, and further agreed to make the aerial ladder truck available for training purposes to both the north and south County fire districts at no charge. This agreement expired in 1983 and the Town of Indian River Shores now owns the department in its entirety.
In 2007, the Department was reconstructed due to damages sustained from Hurricanes Jean and Francis.
Today, the department has 23 full-time officers that are certified Law Enforcement Officers, Firefighters, and Emergency Medical Technicians with a majority also being Paramedics.